- Cook Time: 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- Yield: 24 cupcakes
Cinnamon and almond make these moist cupcakes extra flavorful.
- 6 tbsp. butter OR margarine
- ¼ c. buttermilk
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1⁄3 c. sliced almonds
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract, pure
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line muffin pans with paper liners.
- Combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda and spices in a large mixing bowl.
- Set aside.
- Bring cocoa, butter and water to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Pour hot mixture over flour and sugar; stir to mix thoroughly.
- Whisk buttermilk, eggs, vanilla extract and almond extract together in a small bowl.
- Add to chocolate batter and mix well.
- Portion batter into muffin pans, filling about two thirds full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove to rack and cool for at least 30 minutes.
- To prepare frosting, combine butter, buttermilk and cocoa in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir in powdered sugar and extracts.
- Beat until smooth.
- Spread over cupcakes and immediately sprinkle with almonds.